Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 27: Our First Father's Day

Being a father is still a new role for me.

There will only be one first father's day as a father. It's still hard to believe that the child who climbs up my leg and sleeps in the crib in our room is our son.

Claudia and I enjoyed the first several years together after our wedding. We traveled. We bought our first house. We enjoyed lazy weekends. But as time passed, we felt the desire to start our family. I don't remember a specific date we decided to start a family, but I know it was a few years ago. It's been a long time coming to finally have a child in our lives.

So to finally see Daniel's smiling face and hear his laughter is such a sweet blessing for both of us. I pray to be as good a father as possible for him.

I can't help but see things from a slightly new perspective. I reflect on Abraham and Isaac. I think of God's willingness to sacrifice his son for our salvation. I have a new, growing appreciation for Christ and God's love for us.

We spent the day at Claudia's Uncle Miguel's home to celebrate El Dia De Padre, or Father's Day. Daniel met several second cousins and other family members. He was a little bit nervous and never completely relaxed.

That evening I laid Daniel down in his crib. He was sound asleep and looked so innocent. I really am blessed to be a father. I don't take for granted the ability to have a child. All children are blessings from God.

Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers